• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC and Friends, Vol.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachande

ChryZ said:
I just came up with chicken balls in tomato bbq sauce on rice. Ground the chicken, combine with one egg, salt, pepper and bread breadcrumbs. Set up the ricecooker. Heat up a pan, pan-fry the chicken balls in a bit of butter and oil, brown them nicely (add onions if available). Add the chopped tomatoes in juice, a cup of chicken stock, a few spoons of bbq sauce, a spoon of mustard and a teaspoon of vinegar. Lower the heat and simmer to perfection. Season to taste with salt and pepper when almost done, then crack 2-3 eggs on top of it. Serve everything on a bed of rice when the eggs settled ... good luck ;)

Wow, awesome. Unfortunately, my housemates were already hungry, so I've started doing some BBQ chicken in boiled (maybe fried too) rice. Could add an egg into the equation quite easily, but I'll see what I feel like.

Pictures have been/are being taken! And one day I'll give that recipe a try.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi Dachande, putting up the ingredients is a grand idea. :lol

I would have cut the chicken beasts to strips and marinated them in the BBQ sauce.
Then I would have cooked the rice, chopped the carrots and cabbage to juliennes, mixed the juliennes with the eggs and some soy sauce. When the rice is done, I would have seasoned it with a hint of vinegar.

After that I would have fried the strips very hot in little oil, take them out of the pan, fry the egg mix in there like a scrambled egg.

Finish Line:
Prepare a bowl, put the soured rice in, then add the scrambled egg and finish off with the chicken strips.
DONE!

The stuff I prepared is waay less spectacular, pics are uploading, please stand by.

Dachande

Alright. My housemates were hungry, so they asked me to start dinner. I took what I got and came up with something on the spot, but it turned out well!

I cut the chicken breast into thick strips.

We have rice and a steaming tray...

... and a wok.

This is the olive oil I use. It's from Spain, which I think is good!

And this is the BBQ sauce I have. It's made by these guys, who I can't big up enough. Best sauce I've ever tasted, and I've tasted a fair few.

If you have a housemate, get him to stare at the veg like he doesn't know what to do with it.

If you have ANOTHER housemate, curse him for not helping and playing Dead Rising instead.

Get the pan coated in olive oil, but put it on a low heat. Olive oil burns off at high temperatures. Throw your chicken in.

Start your rice and steamer for veg. We have carrots and cabbage.

Now sear your chicken on this low heat...

And then add your BBQ sauce and make sure it's all coated!

Keep this on a low heat to cook all the way through for another 10 minutes or so. Then turn the heat up to give it a good sugary coating for a few minutes and you're all done!

Serve up. Rice...

... veg...

And BBQ chicken! A dollop of sauce and you're on your way.

I would've liked to have used that saucy goodness in the wok to make fried rice, but I'm fairly full.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Edit: Dachande, that looks awesome. Thank you and your roommates for this WORTHY CONTRIBUTION! ROCK ON!:lol
I am looking forward to seeing more of the awesome cooking stunts from the kitchen of yours!

So, let's cook.
After two consecutive days of pork, the nuitritional conscience kicked in and said to me "Onkel, do ze veggies for great justice!".
Bleh, but sometimes, it's not that bad. So I give you the 30 minute veggie dish.This can serve well as a side dish, too.

I bought the following:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Veggies/smallCIMG2934.jpg

-carrots,
-parsnips,
-sugar peas,
-broccoli,
-some readymade sauce hollandaise (for Vitamins F, A and T) ,
-bread rolls

Preparation is dead simple. Just cut the vegetables in thin slices so the cooking time will be shortened.
smallCIMG2935.jpg

smallCIMG2938.jpg

smallCIMG2939.jpg

smallCIMG2944.jpg

PRO TIP for preparing broccoli:
cut a cross into the trunk of each flower. This will ensure that the trunk will be done at the same time as the flowers.
Cook the veggies with salted water and in separate pots:
smallCIMG2946.jpg

smallCIMG2936.jpg

smallCIMG2941.jpg

smallCIMG2947.jpg

Add a hint of sugar to the carrots and sugar peas:
smallCIMG2942.jpg

Let them cook for 10-15 minutes.

Finish Line:
drain the veggies and place them in a low bowl or on a plate:
smallCIMG2949.jpg

DONE!
Seve wtith some hollandaise sauce (no pictures as it just needed some warming up) and a bread roll as a side dish:
smallCIMG2951.jpg

Healthy feasting! from Bonn.
Tomorrows dish will be up to the old shape, promised.
Hate on me please!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy Halloween, followers of ze cooking thread.
To honour this heathen celebration day, I'll cook up something spooky tonight:

Dead Pork with fried Ghoslings.

What are the Halloween classics (food-wise) on the GAF? Tell or treat!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Stay alert, stay alive!

Out of no particular reason, here are some common Hangover cures:
Fresh fruit, lots of water, lots of coffee, fresh air, Aspirin, a nice warm bouillon and Matjes.

Or you can fix yourself a vitamin-ladden blend which does not even require chewing.:lol
Try out the
Special "kill that cat" mix:

Celery-tomato-cocktail

The ingredients are:
3 celery stalks,
2 tablespoons oat flakes,
3 cups of tomato juice,
1 cup of stock broth
3-4 teaspoons of olive oil,
3 teaspoons chopped parsley,
some tabasco, salt and pepper.

put all the stuff in a blender, mix, season with tabasco and spices.
Enjoy! from Bonn and feel less bad.

Keep yours coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy Halloween,

let's cook.

As the wife and I will celebrate this special night with the Silent Hill movie, the extraordinary recipe for tonights underworldly dish will be posted tomorrow.

To give you a clue of things to come, tonights dish will magically transform this:
smallCIMG2954.jpg

Into this:
smallCIMG3013.jpg

Have a fun night out, trick and treat the world, and check back in tomorrow. I heard posting here is a great cure against hangover.:lol

Keep'em coming!

ChryZ

Haemul Pajeon
(korean seafood/scallion pancake with spicy dip)

I've had this dish as part of a menu at a korean restaurant. Since I liked it a lot,
I did some research on it. First I've googled for english recipes, then I've found
the korean hangul version of pajeon (파전) via wikipedia. I've used it to search
the korean search engine naver.com and found a lot of pics, funny pictorials
and even a streamed cooking show (slightly annoying!), that explained how to
cook the dish. Do I speak korean? No. I've just pieced the english infos
and korean visual clues together and cooked the dish:

main ingredients

1 X egg
1 X bunch of scallions
2 X red chili
1 CUP flour
1 CUP ice water
1/3 CUP squid (1/4 of a squid, small slices)
1/3 CUP baby shrimp
1/3 CUP scallop (two adductor muscles, small slices)
1 TSP salt
1 TBSP sesame oil (pressed from roasted seeds)
3 TBSP peanut oil

dip ingredients

2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1 TSP chopped scallion
1 TSP roasted sesame
1 TSP chili flakes
1 TSP sugar

Regarding the seafood, it seems preferable to have one third clam-something,
one third shellfish-something and one third cephalopod-something,
but the dish might also work with just canned tuna ;)

Haemul_Pajeon_01.jpg

first prep everything, once the pan is hot then there is no going back,
clean the seafood, slice the squid, the scallops, the chilies and trim
the scallions to pan-size, mix the dip ingredients

Haemul_Pajeon_02.jpg

final prep step ... the dough, use a bowl that will be able to accommodated the
scallions, crack/mix egg, add a sip of ice water, salt and sesame oil, mix well,
then add the flour

Haemul_Pajeon_03.jpg

mix and add only as much water that the dough is able to coat the scallions,
if the dough is too runny then add another spoon of flour until it's right

Haemul_Pajeon_04.jpg

heat a pan, oil generous, then whip the pan with a paper towel, it will create
a nice spread of oil pearls, wait for the oil to smoke

Haemul_Pajeon_05.jpg

add the scallions and somewhat align them before the dough settles down

Haemul_Pajeon_06.jpg

add the seafood and chili stripes, then spoon the rest of the remaining dough on top

Haemul_Pajeon_07.jpg

pour a little oil around the pancake/pajeon, use two spatula, shove them under each
end and perform the first flip

Haemul_Pajeon_08.jpg

check the color of the pajeon, if it's not burn then everything is right on track,
else adjust the heat a little or flip more often, use a spatula to peek underneath,
don't burn the seafood side

Haemul_Pajeon_09.jpg

second flip, seafood-side up, heat is perfect

Haemul_Pajeon_10.jpg

just keep frying and flipping

Haemul_Pajeon_11.jpg

done when nicely browned, remove from pan

Haemul_Pajeon_12.jpg

serve sliced to make it more chopstick/dip-able

잘먹겠습니다 (jal meokkesseumnida)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I tried Onkel's noodles with no eggs and, well, mixed results. No pics (sorry) but the final recipe was a total mess, I assume that I boiled the noodles way too much and used less vegetables than I should. The final result had a decent taste, but the presentation was horrible, mostly because the noodles became a single, pastry entity.

I'd recommend to do not boil the noodles for more than 3 minutes and use a lot of vegetables, otherwise you'll end with something resembling an disgusting white omelette made of noodles with some veggies floating around
OMG, zombie brains!

wave dial

Completely unable to understand satire
ChryZ said:
Haemul Pajeon
(korean seafood/scallion pancake with spicy dip)

I've had this dish as part of a menu at a korean restaurant. Since I liked it a lot,
I did some research on it. First I've googled for english recipes, then I've found
the korean hangul version of pajeon (파전) via wikipedia. I've used it to search
the korean search engine naver.com and found a lot of pics, funny pictorials
and even a streamed cooking show (slightly annoying!), that explained how to
cook the dish. Do I speak korean? No. I've just pieced the english infos
and korean visual clues together and cooked the dish:

main ingredients

1 X egg
1 X bunch of scallions
2 X red chili
1 CUP flour
1 CUP ice water
1/3 CUP squid (1/4 of a squid, small slices)
1/3 CUP baby shrimp
1/3 CUP scallop (two adductor muscles, small slices)
1 TSP salt
1 TBSP sesame oil (pressed from roasted seeds)
3 TBSP peanut oil

dip ingredients

2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1 TSP chopped scallion
1 TSP roasted sesame
1 TSP chili flakes
1 TSP sugar

Regarding the seafood, it seems preferable to have one third clam-something,
one third shellfish-something and one third cephalopod-something,
but the dish might also work with just canned tuna ;)

Haemul_Pajeon_01.jpg

first prep everything, once the pan is hot then there is no going back,
clean the seafood, slice the squid, the scallops, the chilies and trim
the scallions to pan-size, mix the dip ingredients

Haemul_Pajeon_02.jpg

final prep step ... the dough, use a bowl that will be able to accommodated the
scallions, crack/mix egg, add a sip of ice water, salt and sesame oil, mix well,
then add the flour

Haemul_Pajeon_03.jpg

mix and add only as much water that the dough is able to coat the scallions,
if the dough is too runny then add another spoon of flour until it's right

Haemul_Pajeon_04.jpg

heat a pan, oil generous, then whip the pan with a paper towel, it will create
a nice spread of oil pearls, wait for the oil to smoke

Haemul_Pajeon_05.jpg

add the scallions and somewhat align them before the dough settles down

Haemul_Pajeon_06.jpg

add the seafood and chili stripes, then spoon the rest of the remaining dough on top

Haemul_Pajeon_07.jpg

pour a little oil around the pancake/pajeon, use two spatula, shove them under each
end and perform the first flip

Haemul_Pajeon_08.jpg

check the color of the pajeon, if it's not burn then everything is right on track,
else adjust the heat a little or flip more often, use a spatula to peek underneath,
don't burn the seafood side

Haemul_Pajeon_09.jpg

second flip, seafood-side up, heat is perfect

Haemul_Pajeon_10.jpg

just keep frying and flipping

Haemul_Pajeon_11.jpg

done when nicely browned, remove from pan

Haemul_Pajeon_12.jpg

serve sliced to make it more chopstick/dip-able

잘먹겠습니다 (jal meokkesseumnida)
wow that looks good. Is that too many scallions

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, really nice stuff again! I would have thought that those spring onions would overpower the seafood, but with the dough as a binding element, this might actually work out very well.

Funky Papa, sorry to hear about that. Do not be discouraged with failure, tough, it all comes with the practice. What kind of pasta did you use?

Mac, nice. :lol :lol :lol

Pics are uploading, please stand by.

ChryZ

Thanks for everybody who cared to comment!

OnkelC said:
ChryZ, really nice stuff again! I would have thought that those spring onions would overpower the seafood, but with the dough as a binding element, this might actually work out very well.
The finished pancake is actually quite subtle in flavour. The scallions are pretty mild even when eaten raw. I think they're steaming in their own juice because of the dough coating and that removes the last bit of pungentness. Anyway, somehow it's working ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
Rice noodles. Here's the package, I think they are the right kind.

noodlestv0.jpg

Rice noodles are tricky when it comes to pan-frying, as they tend to dissolve when being stirred and by that producing the mess you described. The ones I used were made from wheat, which take the stirring and the frying heat much better. Maybe you try them out instead for a second attempt? Indonesian Bami Noodles would be OK, too.

Recipe follows.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let‘s cook.
Sorry for the delay of yesterdays recipe, but I had to take some time off to have a lovely evening with the wife. Halloween is not the biggest of all festivities over here (best thing about Halloween in this part of the world is that Nov.1st is a holiday in some states), so I had enough time to cook up something more complex than on a normal tuesday and had a movie evening afterwards.
The dish is a pork fillet in a mustard and bacon coating, served with mushrooms „Jäger Art“ (aka hunters style), a dark red wine sauce and some Halloween-themed potato croquettes. You can also serve noodles, rice or cooked potatoes as side dishes, anything that will soak up the gravy is ok with this dish.

The ingredients (for two persons) are:
smallCIMG2954.jpg

-one pork fillet,
-8-10 bacon strips, you can also use smoked ham, bresaola or cured pork belly slices,
-hot mustard, salt, pepper and marjorie (not pictured),
-2 cups of red wine,
-3-4 cups of bouillon or stock,
-1 tablespoon of creme fraiche,
-two inches of concentrated tomato puree.

For the mushrooms:
-250 grams (1/2lb) mushrooms of choice,
-1 medium size onion,
-1/2 cup of Cognac,
-salt, pepper and marjorie (not pictured).

filling side dish of choice.
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
First, wash and dry the fillet and remove all tendons and other not good looking stuff:
smallCIMG2961.jpg

smallCIMG2962.jpg

smallCIMG2963.jpg

Then prepare the fillet with salt, pepper and mustard:
smallCIMG2964.jpg

smallCIMG2965.jpg

smallCIMG2967.jpg

smallCIMG2968.jpg

Now for the bacon wrapping. Spare one bacon strip for the mushrooms. Lay out the bacon strips in front of the fillet so that they will overlap each other a bit and cover the whole length of the fillet. Spice them with marjorie:
smallCIMG2970.jpg

smallCIMG2971.jpg

smallCIMG2972.jpg

Now put the fillet onto the bacon strips and roll it up tight. Since the bacon strips will shrink when fried, there is no need for additional fixation. To keep them from dropping off of the meat while frying, plug them together with a toothpick at the thick end of the fillet:
smallCIMG2973.jpg

smallCIMG2975.jpg

smallCIMG2976.jpg

The funny silver thingie is the aluminum-covered gridiron that will be used to grill the fillet later on.

Heat a skillet to max, add some oil and fry the fillet from all sides for about 3-5 minutes until the bacon takes some colour. Place the fillet on the gridiron and put it in the oven for 15 minutes:
smallCIMG2977.jpg

smallCIMG2980.jpg

smallCIMG2981.jpg

Pour 3/4 of the fat contained in the skillet away, then deglaze it with the stock/bouillon, add the wine and a tablespoon of mustard, stir it for a few moments, then pour the sauce into a smaller pot, add the tomato puree and let it reduce at medium heat until serving:
smallCIMG2982.jpg

smallCIMG2983.jpg

smallCIMG2985.jpg

smallCIMG2984.jpg

smallCIMG2986.jpg

smallCIMG2991.jpg

NOW FOR ZE MINIONS! :lol
As a hommage to the Halloween addicts around the globe, I summoned the evil potato ghoulies-in-the-bag and put them into the hellfire (or oven, for that matter):
smallCIMG2957.jpg

smallCIMG2958.jpg

BURN, BABY, BURN! (for 12-13 minutes, do not forget to turn them over once for maximum suffering):
smallCIMG2994.jpg

Now slice the remaining bacon strip, the mushrooms and the onion:
smallCIMG2988.jpg

smallCIMG2989.jpg

smallCIMG2993.jpg

Re-heat the cleaned skillet, roast the bacon/onions in a bit of oil, then add the mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms take some colour. Spice them with salt, pepper and a hint of marjorie:
smallCIMG2995.jpg

smallCIMG2997.jpg

smallCIMG2998.jpg

smallCIMG3000.jpg

Finish Line:
Take the fillet out of the oven and let it rest for one to two minutes:
smallCIMG3007.jpg

The sauce should have reduced to roughly 1/3 of its starting volume. Pour the juices from the fillet from the gridiron, Add some creme fraiche and finish it off with salt and pepper to your personal taste:
smallCIMG3003.jpg

smallCIMG3006.jpg

smallCIMG3004.jpg

Add a good hint of cognac to the mushrooms (no pics, sorry) and stir fry them until the alcohol has evaporates (or not, according to taste ;) )

Now remove the toothpick from the fillet and cut the fillet into decent medaillons:
smallCIMG3008.jpg

smallCIMG3009.jpg

DONE!
Serve in a nice arrangement, top it off with the sauce and
smallCIMG3011.jpg

smallCIMG3012.jpg

smallCIMG3013.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

I hope everyone has survived the party. If so, some comments are appreciated.

Keep‘em coming!

Tonights Dish will be some new potatoes, baked with bacon and raclette cheese.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fallofmart, Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

So, let's cook.
After the ungodly cooking orgy of yesterday, I went for something simpler today, an oven-baked Raclette.
Oven Raclette is a fast and hearty dish that can be prepared in every kitchen without any hassle. It is a bastardized version of the traditional Swiss raclette which is quite demanding on special utensils. The potaoes I used are young/new potatoes, which are a delicacy on their own. They need not to be peeled as their peel is paper-thin and really tasty and gets crispy when fried or roasted.

smallCIMG3017.jpg

500 grams (1lb and change) young potatoes,
400 grams (short of 1lb) raclette cheese in thick slices,
8-10 bacon strips.

No special utensils needed, but an oven pan is recommended. It can be substituted with a large plate.

Preparation is dead simple and fast, it took me 50 minutes from the first photo to the first bite.

Pre-heat the oven to maximum temperature.

Wash and clean the potatoes, then put them in a small pot with salted water and cook them for 15-20 minutes with a lid on. They are done when you can stick a knife in them without much effort:
smallCIMG3018.jpg

smallCIMG3019.jpg

When the potatoes are done, pour the water, put them or leave them in the pot and cut their peels a bit. This helps them absorb the flavors of the other ingredients:
smallCIMG3020.jpg

smallCIMG3021.jpg

Now heat a pan without oil and roast the bacon strips. When they are brown and crunchy, place them on a kitchen towel and put the potatoes in the pan. Fry them until the peel gets golden brown and crispy:
smallCIMG3023.jpg

smallCIMG3025.jpg

smallCIMG3024.jpg

smallCIMG3026.jpg

Action shot:
smallCIMG3027.jpg

Pour the potatoes in the oven pan and decorate with the bacon strips. Finish off with the cheese slices:
smallCIMG3028.jpg

smallCIMG3029.jpg

smallCIMG3031.jpg

Finish Line:
Put the raclette in the oven and let it bake until the cheese is fine. If possible, use the grill to do it. This should take only a few minutes:
smallCIMG3032.jpg

smallCIMG3033.jpg

DONE!
Serve directly from the pan and enjoy:
smallCIMG3035.jpg

smallCIMG3038.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

Comments and feedback is welcome!

smallCIMG3014.jpg

:)

gprime

The Mac and Cheese^4

Bring water to a boil. Dump in macroni noodles. Let them boil until they go limp, stirring occasionally. When done, drain water. Mix in 4 regular packets of cheese - don't be afraid to mix varieties! No milk required.

This elegant cuisine serves one.

Diablos

Hahaha, you actually did it! :lol OnkelC has some serious competition now!
btw, that Mac & Cheese looks radioactive or something. Seriously.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
gprime, welcome (back) and thanks for the mac and cheese!:lol That is exactly the kind of lean cuisine I appreciate!
Could you elaborate on the "packets" of cheese that you used? Was it soft cheese of sorts?

Keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be Tagliatelle with salmon cubes and a white wine/dill sauce.

What's on the table for you?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.

Tonights dish, Tagliatelle with salmon, or better, Fettucine with salmon as a last-minute change of mind, are one of the fastest full-grown dishes that are posted here. Total preparation time was exactly 30 minutes from first pic to serving. It tastes great and looks like there was put much more effort in it than it actually was. Key is a good and fresh salmon as well as a decent white wine which can be served alongside the dish. I used some Tourraine for it, but every dry white wine will work out well.

smallCIMG3043.jpg

-350 grams (.8lb) pasta of choice,
-250 grams (1/2lb) salmon fillet,
-1 cup of white wine,
-1 cup of cream,
-2 tbs of cream cheese,
-a handful of fresh dill or 2 teaspoons of dried dill,
-1 good tbs of butter,
-salt and pepper (not pictured).

First, put a big pot with water on the stove and get it boiling. While the water is heating up, cut the salmon into fork-worthy pieces:
smallCIMG3046.jpg

Wait until the water is boiling and prepare the pasta:
smallCIMG3047.jpg

Now heat a skillet to medium, add the butter and let it melt:
smallCIMG3049.jpg

smallCIMG3050.jpg

Now add the salmon chunks, spice them with salt, pepper and let them sautee for a few moments until they take a bit of color:
smallCIMG3051.jpg

smallCIMG3052.jpg

Now add the wine, the dill and the cream.
smallCIMG3055.jpg

smallCIMG3056.jpg

smallCIMG3057.jpg

smallCIMG3058.jpg

smallCIMG3059.jpg

Let it simmer for a few minutes, then remove the salmon. Turn up the heat, add the cream cheese and whisk it in:
smallCIMG3060.jpg

smallCIMG3061.jpg

smallCIMG3062.jpg

smallCIMG3063.jpg

Finish Line:
Drain the pasta, splash them with cold water and mix them with the sauce. Add the salmon chunks on top and serve:
smallCIMG3065.jpg

smallCIMG3066.jpg

smallCIMG3067.jpg

DONE!
smallCIMG3069.jpg

smallCIMG3071.jpg

Have a nice and tasty dinner.

Comments, critics and contributions are appreciated. Keep'em coming! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
No dish from me tonight, as it is restaurant friday again.

What's on your cooking schedule for the weekend?

ChryZ

Japanese Curry

Well, not much to explain. Wikipedia got it covered.

The general steps to cook this dish are very basic,
but I like to prep the dish with a bit more care:

ingredients

1 KG beef (less tender cut, 2.2 LBS)
1 X S&B Golden Curry roux (hot, can be exchanged with medium or mild)
8 X potatos
4 X onions
4 X carrots
2 X instant beef broth cubes
1 TSP black sesame
1 CUP dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
3-4 CUP water (for the curry)
1 CUP short grain rice
1,25 CUP water (for the rice)

Japanese_Curry_01.jpg

cube the meat and then pet-dry it with some paper towel,
this will help with the browning of the meat

Japanese_Curry_02.jpg

roughly mince three onions, spare one for later

Japanese_Curry_03.jpg

heat a heavy pot, add oil and wait for it to smoke, then add the meat in batches,
don't overcrowd it, brown the cubes from all sides, this will take a moment, but
it will pay off with a rich beef flavour, pre-heat oven (350F/180C)

Japanese_Curry_04.jpg

add the minced onions to the pot when all the meat is nicely browned,
the onions will deglaze the pot and brown in the remaining oil

Japanese_Curry_05.jpg

add the water, beef broth cubes, washed shiitake mushrooms and 1/4 of the curry roux

Japanese_Curry_06.jpg

place the closed pot in the oven, the meat will simmer until tender, this will take
up to 90 min, set timer to 45 min

Japanese_Curry_07.jpg

chop up the carrots, potatos and the remaining onion

Japanese_Curry_08.jpg

wash the rice, the washing water will look quite milky at the beginning

Japanese_Curry_09.jpg

wash and replace the water until it's less milky, discard water again

Japanese_Curry_10.jpg

place the one cup of rice in the cooker and add 1,25 cups of water, let soak for 30 min

Japanese_Curry_11.jpg

timer alarm, add the carrots, stir, close the pot and oven, set timer to 15 min

Japanese_Curry_12.jpg

timer alarm, add the potato chunks, stir, close the pot and oven, set timer to 30 min,
power up the rice cooker, the rice will be ready in 20-30 min

Japanese_Curry_13.jpg

timer alarm, get the pot out of the oven and place it on a burner at medium heat

Japanese_Curry_14.jpg

add the remaining roux, stir gently to dissolve it

Japanese_Curry_15.jpg

check the thickness once the roux dissolved completely, add water if it's to thick

Japanese_Curry_16.jpg

serve with rice, sprinkle some black sesame on top of the rice for garnish ... itadakimasu
(haha, I once again managed to "sneak" my beloved sesame into a dish)

the leftover will be stored in the freezer and shall be eaten later on

Japanese_Curry_19.jpg

I just wanna say thank you to OnkelC and ChryZ and all other contributors for this thread. Everyday I wake up to some crazy new meal that makes my mouth water. Living by myself now, I have to cook for myself and this thread really helps me think outside the box for meals.(No more 8 minute pasta and sauce from a jar for me!)
Although, being a student I sometimes have to scale back the recipes due to time, budget, or supplies available, I always end up happy with my attempt at something new.
So, thanks again and keep on keepin' on!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, if there was ever a hearty dish posted, this would be it. :lol
The preparation sounds a lot like the local Gulasch, with the difference being paprika as the main flavor instead of curry and omitting the mushrooms.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: thanks for your kudos, sublime, it helps atleast me going on with this. When I was a student myself, money was a big restraint for cooking up the stuff of choice. As I cook for two nowadays, I kind of fell short of the cheap and easy recipes for singles from university time. If you or anybody else would mind to share some of the stuff you cook up to get the belly full, it would be really intersting. Noone needs to be ashamed of low funds when it comes to cooking.

Apart from that, I would like to see some of the convenience stuff from around the globe.

Is it no cooking week for the rest of GAF again? the Halloween hangover must have been slept away by now.

Keep yours coming!:lol

ChryZ

sublime085 said:
I just wanna say thank you to OnkelC and ChryZ and all other contributors for this thread. Everyday I wake up to some crazy new meal that makes my mouth water. Living by myself now, I have to cook for myself and this thread really helps me think outside the box for meals.(No more 8 minute pasta and sauce from a jar for me!)
Although, being a student I sometimes have to scale back the recipes due to time, budget, or supplies available, I always end up happy with my attempt at something new.
So, thanks again and keep on keepin' on!
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately there is not much activity in this thread, but replies like yours are really making it hard to quit. There have been so many unsuccessful attempts from OnkelC to rope some fresh meat into this thread, it really makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time here. I would love to see more contributions, feedback or constructive criticism.

OnkelC said:
ChryZ, if there was ever a hearty dish posted, this would be it. :lol
The preparation sounds a lot like the local Gulasch, with the difference being paprika as the main flavor instead of curry and omitting the mushrooms.

Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. Yeah, it's pretty much a curry flavoured stew ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Preview of the weekend dishes:
Todays dish will be breaded redfish fillets with a mustard sauce and parsley potatoes, I'll also bake a chocolate cake with marzipan and peach filling.

For tomorrow, I'll make some "Grünkohl mit Pinkel" (curly kale stew with Mettwurst).

Stay tuned and leave some comments, please.:)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Incredible photos and recipes, guys. :eek:~~~~

This all makes me wish I had a kitchen that was big enough to cook in. Damn tiny japanese apartments. :(

ChryZ

Albóndigas

Shamelessly quoted from Wikipedia:

"In Spain and Mexico, meatballs are called 'albóndigas,' derived from the Arabic 'al-bunduq' (meaning 'hazelnut,' or, by extension, a small round object). Albóndigas are thought to have originated as a Berber or Arab dish imported to Spain during the period of Muslim rule. Spanish albóndigas can be served as an appetizer or main course, often in a tomato sauce, while Mexican albóndigas are commonly served in a soup with a light broth and vegetables."

meatballs ingredients

500 GR ground pork (1.1 lbs)
5 CM leek (finely chopped, 2 in)
2 CUP long grain rice (cooked)
1/3 CUP cornmeal
1 X egg
4 X garlic cloves
4 TBSP oregano
1 TBSP black pepper
1 TBSP salt

(soup|sauce) ingredients

250 GR canned kidney beans with liquid (5.5 lbs, ~1,5 cup)
10 CM leek (roughly chopped into rings, 4 in)
1 CUP shredded cheese
2 CUP tomato puree
2/3 CUP strong meat broth
1 CUP celery green (optional, garnish)
3 X celery stalk (sliced into rings)
1 x big onions (roughly chopped)
4 x red or green chiles (roughly chopped)
4 x garlic cloves
2 TBSP pan-roasted and ground cumin seeds
2 TBSP oregano
1 TBSP lime juice
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP black pepper
1 TBSP salt

Albondigas_01.jpg

combine meat ball ingredients, mix well and set aside

Albondigas_02.jpg

chop the onion and celery, slice leek into rings, save the celerys' green for later,
remove seeds from chile, chop garlic and chile, add them to the tomato puree

Albondigas_03.jpg

blend the the tomato&chile&garlic mix until smooth, heat and oil pan

Albondigas_04.jpg

form nice little meatballs from the ground pork mix

Albondigas_05.jpg

brown them gently in their own fat, flip from time to time

Albondigas_06.jpg

remove the meat balls from the pan, add the chopped onions and celery to the remaining fat,

Albondigas_07.jpg

saute until the onions start to brown a little, add the beans together with the can liquid

Albondigas_08.jpg

cook for a moment until the bean liquid is almost gone

Albondigas_09.jpg

deglaze the pan with the strong beef broth, simmer for a moment

Albondigas_10.jpg

add the tomato sauce, add oregano and cumin, stir well, simmer for a moment,
season to taste with salt, pepper, honey and lime juice, aim for a smooth round flavour

Albondigas_11.jpg

add the meatball to the sauce, drop the heat to low or medium and simmer until
the beans are done, this should take 15-20 min, stir careful every now and then,
add leek rings when almost done, don't stir anymore afterwards, the content of
the pan will steam them to perfection

Albondigas_12.jpg

serve with long grain rice, top with shredded cheese and pulled celery green

a nice variation is to add more broth and bay leaves and to bump up the sauce
to soup, replace the rice with a few tortillas for dipping, yet another nice dish

¡Buen apetito!

Warning: this dish is dangerously delicious. I ate way too much of it.
I was so stuffed, that I almost got sick at the gym. So, be careful ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, nice as always! Thank you for that.

As I am quite stuffed at the moment, I'll post the recipe of my dish, Red fish with a mustard sauce and parsley potatoes, tomorrow. As a preview, have this.
Before:
smallCIMG3075.jpg

After:
smallCIMG3114.jpg

Enjoy and share your thoughts.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I prepared a traditional dinner yesterday, a breaded redfish with a mustard sauce and parsley potatoes. Potatoes are a classic side dish for all fish preparations, as they should help you getting eventual swallowed and stuck fishbones out of your throat. The breading shown is nice for fish, but can be used for all kinds of white meat like pork, veal, or poultry cuts. The "Schnitzel" Panade is the same as this.

smallCIMG3075.jpg

For the fish fillets
- 400-500 grams (1lb) redfish fillets,
- 1 dry bread roll from yesterday,
- 2 eggs,
- 4 tbs flour,
- 1tbs lemon juice,
- salt and pepper.

For the sauce
- a handful of parsley, dill and chives each,
- 400ml (13flOz) milk,
- 150ml (5flOz) strong broth,
- 1 tbs butter,
- 2tbs flour,
- 3-4tbs hot mustard,
- 2tbs lemon juice,
- 1tsp sugar,
- salt and pepper.

For the side dish
- 1 1/2lb of waxy potatoes,
- 1 tbs chopped parsley,
- 2 tbs salt.

Special utensils needed:
yesterdays newspaper
smallCIMG3076.jpg

First, peel the potatoes, cut them in chunks of roughly the same size, put them in a small pot with a lid, add a good amount of salt and cook them for about 20 minutes:
smallCIMG3077.jpg

smallCIMG3078.jpg

smallCIMG3079.jpg

Now prepare the fish. The usual routine is "Säubern, salzen, säuern" (wash it, salt it, sour it), so wash the fillets under running water, add some salt to them and sprinkle them with lemon juice:
smallCIMG3084.jpg

smallCIMG3085.jpg

Put them aside while preparing the breading. Grate or smash the old bread roll into crumbs, spread the crumbs out to the size of the fish fillets,
smallCIMG3080.jpg

smallCIMG3083.jpg

then set up your workplace like this (from left to right: fish fillets, plate with flour, plate with eggs, plate with breading, empty plate):
smallCIMG3087.jpg

Spice the eggs with a good amount of salt and pepper, then whip them with a fork:
smallCIMG3088.jpg

smallCIMG3089.jpg

Now for the breading. It is easy and can be made with one hand.
First, cover the fish with flour from both sides and shake off the excess flour:
smallCIMG3090.jpg

smallCIMG3091.jpg

Then drag the fillets through the egg mass and let them drip for one or two seconds:
smallCIMG3092.jpg

smallCIMG3093.jpg

Now cover the fillets with the breadcrumbs. Press them lightly into the breadcrumbs, then shake off the excess breadcrumbs.
Set the finished fillets on a separate plate and let them rest for a few minutes (adds to the crunchiness of the panade):
smallCIMG3094.jpg

smallCIMG3095.jpg

smallCIMG3096.jpg

smallCIMG3097.jpg

Repeat:
smallCIMG3098.jpg

Now for the sauce. Heat a medium sized pot, melt butter, then add the flour and whisk until the mass takes a golden brown colour:
smallCIMG3099.jpg

smallCIMG3101.jpg

smallCIMG3102.jpg

Add the broth, stir it in and keep stirring, then add the milk in 2-3 sessions while keeping the sauce cooking:
smallCIMG3103.jpg

smallCIMG3104.jpg

Finish Line:
When the potatoes are done, drain them, keep them in the pot and add chopped parsley:
smallCIMG3105.jpg

Heat a pan and melt a good amount of butter in it. When the butter gets foamy, reduce the heat to 1/3 before adding the fish fillets. This helps frying the fish at a low temperature, thus keeping it juicy, and prevents the breading from getting burnt:
smallCIMG3106.jpg

The fish should fry for 2 minutes from each side and be turned over two times.

While the fish is frying, finish the sauce. Add the mustard, stir it in, add the lemon juice, then turn off the heat.
smallCIMG3107.jpg

smallCIMG3108.jpg

Now turn over the fish for the first time:
smallCIMG3110.jpg

For the finishing touch, add the herbs and some sugar to the sauce and stir them in:
smallCIMG3109.jpg

The sauce should have stopped boiling by now; this is good beacuse the herbs will contain their flavor this way.

Slice the remains of the lemon.

Now turn over the fillets for the second time:
smallCIMG3111.jpg

DONE!

Serve on a plate with a good helping of sauce and a slice of lemon:
smallCIMG3114.jpg

smallCIMG3116.jpg

Enjoy!

Feedback will be honoured.

Wraith

Cincinnati Chili Recipe

I'm going to give my first contribution to this thread. Like sauce, it costs little to make(well, if you have all of the spices laying around... if you don't, then your initial pot will be way more expensive than the next one you make) and can be frozen until you want to use it. This recipe makes... uh... a lot. Enough for 4 big eaters to eat 2-3 times, I would say. Anyway, on to the recipe!

I have no digicam, but pics in this case wouldn't do very much anyway.

So let's cook!

Chili Ingredients:
2lb. ground beef(get the leanest you can find, 85/15 or 90/10)
2 cups water
2 cans tomato paste
1 onion(chopped)
1 clove garlic(minced)
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
OPTIONAL: 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa

Other Ingredients:
Pasta
1 lb. cheddar cheese
1 onion, chopped
Kidney beans

Notes:

The cocoa in the chili can be added if you want to completely negate any "kick" in the chili. Adding cocoa makes it the "Skyline" version, which is sweeter. Leaving it out makes the "Goldstar" version. I like both, and generally decide which to make based on my whim and whether or not I have unsweetened cocoa lying around.

Traditionally, Cincinnati Chili is served over pasta. This is called the "two-way". If you add cheddar cheese(the more you throw on it the better, I really like to put a mountain on) it's a "three-way". If you further top it with chopped onion, it's called a "four-way". And if you chuck beans on that mountain of deliciousness, you have a "five-way".

If you want, you can even ladle some of the chili over hotdogs for chili dogs. Don't forget to load them up with onions and cheese!

Preparation:

1) Chop the onion and mince the garlic(unless you're a cheapskate, like me, and buy that big container of minced garlic in water instead of using fresh garlic). You can brown the meat if you want, but it's not at all necessary. Just another pot to wash.

2) Throw everything into a pot or slow cooker. Simmer until cooked through. In a slow cooker, expect to wait about 8 hours. In a pot, just keep stirring and checking. Should only be about 2-3 hours. It's nearly impossible to burn this stuff, so you can pretty much leave it on auto-pilot. Make sure that you skim the fat off each time you stir. The leaner the meat you bought, the less fat you have to worry about skimming.

3) Cook your pasta and ladle some chili over. Add cheese, onion, and beans to taste.

4) Enjoy!

As I mentioned above, this makes a helluva lot of chili and it can all be frozen. Perfect for bachelors and people who want a quick meal waiting for them when they get home.

See pictures of the finished product at http://www.skylinechili.com/

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ChryZ said:
Albóndigas

Shamelessly quoted from Wikipedia:

"In Spain and Mexico, meatballs are called 'albóndigas,' derived from the Arabic 'al-bunduq' (meaning 'hazelnut,' or, by extension, a small round object). Albóndigas are thought to have originated as a Berber or Arab dish imported to Spain during the period of Muslim rule. Spanish albóndigas can be served as an appetizer or main course, often in a tomato sauce, while Mexican albóndigas are commonly served in a soup with a light broth and vegetables."
-snip-
Interesting recipe. Quite different from the Spanish one, but it looks pretty good, I'll try it.

Wraith

Looking at OnkelC's perfectly fried filets in his latest recipe makes me want to ask for some tips for frying. For whatever reason, I tend to totally char things when I attempt to fry them. I suspect it's because I'm not using enough oil, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY HOW MUCH OIL DO I FREAKING NEED?! Anyway, would the lack of oil be the reason for this, or am I just a nitwit? If you tell me it's lack of oil, then the next dish I fry is going to be heart attack city.

Also, my plastic spatulas always melt when I fry things. Should I be using a different spatula? The pans are all non-stick, and I can't afford to buy others, so I think metal spatulas are a no-no. Is there a plastic spatula that will withstand the heat?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Oh Crhyz, thanks for the curry dish. I was actually looking for a that since I have a bunch of the ingredients. It's also very nice that you can make a whole bunch of it and conserve it for times you're too lazy to cook.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi Wraith and thank you for that fine pasta dish. The combination of chili and pasta is fun, I haven't thought about that because I can't figure out how beans would work out with pasta in that kind of sauce.

Wraith said:
Looking at OnkelC's perfectly fried filets in his latest recipe makes me want to ask for some tips for frying. For whatever reason, I tend to totally char things when I attempt to fry them. I suspect it's because I'm not using enough oil, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY HOW MUCH OIL DO I FREAKING NEED?! Anyway, would the lack of oil be the reason for this, or am I just a nitwit? If you tell me it's lack of oil, then the next dish I fry is going to be heart attack city.

It is more a question of temperature and thickness of the meat when frying stuff with a breading. Since only white meat or fish should be breaded, they are done quite fast. Rule of thumb when frying breaded goods: longer time with lower temperature. I usually heat the pan to 1/2 of max heat for a few minutes, then add the fat (margarine or butter are best) and then the frying goods.

There should be a good amount of oil/fat involved when frying breaded cuts. I would advise on using the amount of oil/fat that is needed to totally cover the bottom of the pan.

The thickness of the meat cuts is also important. Try to tenderize every cut before breading it, the maximum thickness should be not more than 1/2 inch (1-1.5 Centimeter). Also go for even surfaces of the cuts.

Also, my plastic spatulas always melt when I fry things. Should I be using a different spatula? The pans are all non-stick, and I can't afford to buy others, so I think metal spatulas are a no-no. Is there a plastic spatula that will withstand the heat?

Whoa, that seems like way too much heat and a generally unsuitable utensil. Non-Stick pans should generally not be heated too much, as this will destroy most non-stick surfaces. Is it possible that you used a rubber spatula?

When shopping for a new spatula, you should go or ask for a dedicated heat-resistant plastic (preferably Nylon) or wooden spatula, also called a "turner". A decent turner should easily withstand the normal pan temperatures. The one I use for most of the stuff is nearly 10 years old now. A decent turner should set you back around 10$US, but it is worth the price.

NeoGAF Amazon Link to some decent Spatula:
http://www.amazon.com/s/102-7047196...&Submit=Go&Submit.y=0&link_code=qs&Submit.x=0

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The following is the Epitome of german "Kraut" culture, the regionally famous "Grünkohl mit Mettwurst" (curly kale with smoked hard sausage). As I learned, curly Kale is considered forage or fodder in some uncivilized parts of the earth. Overcoming the prejudice will reward you with a really hearty dish, best suited after a long walk in the cold November forests. High season for this dish is mid-January, as the kale tastes best when it is harvested after a frost period, making it taste sweet.

As the preparation from scratch takes several hours and will stink up your flat beyond belief, it is best prepared in large quantities. Since we wanted only a small fix, I resorted to a precooked convenience product. The sausages were smoked fresh yesterday morning and are the natural companion to this dish.

So, lo and behold, click on the soundtrack below and marvel at this piece of regional specialty cuisine in the making. Words cannot describe it:

http://www.2112.net/sphere/virtualsongs/audio/Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra.mp3

smallCIMG3117.jpg

smallCIMG3118.jpg

smallCIMG3122.jpg

smallCIMG3121.jpg

smallCIMG3123.jpg

smallCIMG3127.jpg

smallCIMG3125.jpg

DONE!

As you might easily recognize, the above resembles a palm tree.

Greetings and have a nice working week,

OnkelC.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
gprime said:
PheonixDark, your meal awaits you.

P.S. OnkelC, your meals look awesome. One of these day I'll have to learn to cook and attempt one of them.
:lol

thanks for the kudos.

Zaptruder

Banned
OnkelC said:
Tonights dish will be Apple Pancakes. Any suggestions for the week to come, GAF?

Try a week of cuisine that you don't normally try?

So maybe find recipies for a week of indian food? :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zaptruder said:
Try a week of cuisine that you don't normally try?

So maybe find recipies for a week of indian food? :)

Fun idea, but I have to hold several lectures over the next three weeks and therefore can't afford an upset stomach. Indian food is quite heavy on the spicy side and would upset my intestines more than necessary imho.

Hence no overly exotic/spicy stuff for me.

Ideas for mild and easy-going dishes are appreciated.

GAF, let's have some random posts since there are only 4 empty slots until next page left!

Hammertime.jpg

ChryZ

Funky Papa said:
Interesting recipe. Quite different from the Spanish one, but it looks pretty good, I'll try it.
I've found like a million different recipes for albóndigas. The posted version is more Mexican style than Spanish. I've did the dish a couple of times and the folks around here love it. Let me know how you liked it. Oh and I would love to hear more about your Spanish version!

elostyle said:
Oh Crhyz, thanks for the curry dish. I was actually looking for a that since I have a bunch of the ingredients. It's also very nice that you can make a whole bunch of it and conserve it for times you're too lazy to cook.
You're welcome. Yeah, I like to take the frozen leftovers to work and microwave them there, it definitely beats the crap that our canteen is serving ;)

OnkelC said:
Red fish with a mustard sauce and parsley potatoes
Yum! I gotta replicate that, especially the sauce. Ever tried panko for coating? Its crunchy texture can make fried items even more delicious!

OnkelC said:
Tonights dish will be Apple Pancakes. Any suggestions for the week to come, GAF?
Sate was mentioned before. Donno why, but I never tried to make it myself. May I request it?

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
think you could cook something using only the microwave oven? if you have a microwave oven, that is.

congrats on the threads, btw. I think I've read every single post in them :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom